Friday, September 21, 2007

Thing 7

For this "thing", I am asked to blog about anything that's related to technology.

I have never been one to jump on new technology's bandwagon. Sometimes I want to learn about new technology, but I've never been the "first on my block" to do so. I'm usually hesitant because I think that it's going to be something for which I won't find a use or that it simply won't interest me. Although I'm confident in my ability to learn new things, I've always felt that technology regarding computers is my weakest subject. I think that I learn many things quickly; but, in the world of technology, I feel that I am a slow learner. However, I don't keep a "chip on my shoulder" in this area or any other one. For that reason, I've often been pleasantly surprised. For instance, I found that I was genuinely enjoying my exploration of Flickr.

I became a librarian before HCPL had access to the internet. That's an example of a subject that I thought was going to overwhelm me a decade ago, but now I feel very comfortable "surfing the net" for so much information that personally interests me. As well, I enjoy teaching patrons of our library how to find information on the internet and how to use e-mail.

All of my knowledge has come from Maurice Coleman, Annette Gaskins, and Maxine Rising. (I listed them alphabetically.) All of them have made me feel that I'm just as smart as them and have made me feel very comfortable. All of them seem to truly espouse the adage that "there isn't any such thing as a dumb question". From simply knowing Irmgarde Brown, I feel that she is the same king of teacher; but I've never had a chance to be in a class with her.

After my blog for my fifth thing, someone posted a few words of encouragement. I truly appreciate that.

So, I'll continue to work my way through the 23 things. It will be nice if I complete them in time to get an mp3 player. That's a piece of technology that I've never touched for the reasons that I mentioned above. At first glance, I think that I don't need it or won't find it useful or that it won't interest me; but, I'd bet money that, after I play with it for a while, I'll really like it. Remember, that I'm one that uses his cellular phone in the most basic, rudimentary fashion.

Bob

No comments: