Monday, October 1, 2007

Thing 8

For this "thing", I am asked to learn about RSS
(Really Simple Syndication or Rich Site Summary).
It is a way to publish updates from a variety of web sites at once in a summary format. An RSS document contains either a summary of content from a web site or the full text. RSS makes it possible for me to keep up with my favorite web sites in an automated manner that's easier than checking each and every web site manually. So, to subscribe to an RSS, I went to www.bloglines.com. Now I will be able to learn in a handy format when my favorite web sites get updated. RSS saves time because now I don't have to visit every site to learn about updates. I only have to go to one webpage (www.bloglines.com) and get the news that's waiting for me there. It's useful because it organizes updates into one website. It's convenient gathering tool for those who like to explore multiple websites and blogs. Maybe a public library could could use an RSS to put out information about new books and other materials, events in the library, and possibly notify patrons when items are due or are on the "hold shelf" for them.

Bob

No comments: