Monday, October 1, 2007

Thing 9

This "thing" showed me some tools to help me to find newsfeeds to add to my newsreader (www.bloglines.com). I explored the tools that were suggested to me: topix.net, technorati, feedster, and syndic8.com. I liked topix.net the best. I found the others to be a little overwhelming. I gave topix.net my zip code in order to get news that's "close to home" for me. But; instead of using these tools to help me to find newsfeeds, I think that I will simply find newsfeeds by going to sites on the internet that I consistently enjoy and then subscribing to their feeds. In other words, now that you've made me aware of RSS, I will look for the RSS icon on the web pages of sites that I enjoy and find interesting and I will subscribe to them then if I'm so inclined. However; I realize that, by using one or more of the tools that I listed above, I may find sites of which I've been unaware and that's usually fun. I have subscribed to MERLIN'S newsfeed because MERLIN is a good way for me to be aware of what's happening in Maryland's library community.

Bob

No comments: